Monday 16 December 2013

Let it begin!

What a year it has been this year. Life has had its ups and downs this year, a lot more downs than ups unfortunately. but I'm planning on turning that around next year. I'm going to throw myself into life and a heap of personal challenges. I'm going to undertake a year of no spending on anything that's not necessary. so that means no take aways, no late night shopping channels, nothing.

this year we have decided to concentrate of being completely debt free. so I will be documenting our year in this blog. i want to be as frugal as possible, but still not hamper on the kids. i want them to have fun and enjoy the year.

theres many things i want to achieve this year, and the no spend year will be the basis of achieving it all. so to start with:

1. be well on the way to debt free by the end of the year (to only have the car to finish paying off after the end of the year)

2. to be at my goal weight and healthy and happy.

3. home made year for all gifts that we give others

4. to learn a few new skills.

5. anything that needs to be replaced, the money has to be found elsewhere, not out of the budget.

6. organisation. finish with my organisation rampage. to have everything working well and everything easy to find. makes for much easier time at keeping on track with all other goals.

7. get a new and more reliable job!!

8. have an emergency fund

I will have a few pre-planned buys that I will be making, which will make life easier and or cheaper.

1. new freezer (will sell my current 700lt chest freezer and get a smaller upright) will be more energy efficient. money from selling old freezer will go to it, as well as selling other items to make up the difference.

2. new bed for DS11, (will sell his current one to get a smaller bed, current bed is way to big) will only need to add about $200 towards is.

3. Fans, I'm going to have fans installed in the back 2 rooms. (this is also why I need a smaller bed)

4. tow bar for my new car.

so fun free things to do with my kids is to access all the Victorian zoos as much as possible Kids are free on weekends and holidays and with my companion card (my son has special needs), it makes me free too. explore Melbourne and see what we can do that's free, my DS14 has a disabled sticker, and I know places in the city I can park free and we can use the free city circle tram and bus. we can go on picnics and explore parks and bush lands.

a lot of my budget is unchangeable, but the one thing that is changeable is my food budget. so through the course of the year we will be doing a lot to make this as cheap as possible. I have a few challenges here though, as I now have a type 1 diabetic child and I myself am trying to lose weight.

so after Christmas and before new years I will be making a lot of plans and sorting out budgets and ideas. also have to work on my gift ideas as well, so I'm ready to go on the 1st of Jan 2014. and I hope through the course of the year I can inspire a few other to join in with me, even if its to make just a few changes to improve your life and finances.

5 comments:

  1. All the best for the up and coming year. Once you get into the right head space the rest is easy. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I'm The Try Hard Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. really looking forward to getting really stuck into this goal. last time I did this challenge it was for 3 months and I achieve so much. cant wait to see what I can do over a full year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it! There will be plenty of us bloggers taking up the same or similar challenge. Let's encourage each other along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s the spirit, Salli! In my opinion, problem is just another word for a challenge. A challenge that we need to overcome for us to become a stronger person. And with your attitude, there’s no doubt that you’ll win over all your problems. And having a goal list is a good start. I hope you’ll accomplish it all, especially the ones that involve securing an emergency fund, a new car, and getting a more reliable job. Cheers!

    Sarah Erwin @ Baldwin Subaru

    ReplyDelete