Thursday 19 December 2013

Everything is falling into place

I had planned on beginning this challenge in the new year, but I have started it now without even realising it. everything is falling into place nicely.

I find myself thinking about gifts for next year. everything we're giving as gifts next year is going to be home made. so I've had fun thinking up great presents to make. I only have a few left to think of. (will put up photos as I make them) now I find myself looking everywhere for materials to use to make these gifts. some items I will be recycling old tires, some I will be working with wood, some scrapbooking, some sewing and what ever else I can find to make. I've also had an offer from a wonderful person to teach me how to knit. the think I love about home made, is the imagination can run wild. its not what you spend on a present, its the effort and love that's gone into a gift. its from the heart.

I have also found myself doing a $21 challenge without even trying. for those of you that don't know what a $21 challenge is, its only spending $21 for the week to do your shopping. you make do with what's in your pantry, fridge and freezer for the week. it really is amazing what can be found in the depths of your cupboards and freezer. we've eaten really well over the last few days. We had Chicken burgers Tuesday night, Wednesday night was roast lamb with all the trimmings. Tonight's dinner was spaghetti bolognaise and peach turn overs for dessert. I'm pretty sure we can eat the rest of the year from the freezer, and some of January as well.

I even had my first harvest from my veggie garden, 2 very yummy zucchini's, we had one steamed the other night with the roast.

Its not a lot, but its a start and so satisfying to be able to eat something you grew.

I have also worked and adjusted my new budget for January. I have worked out how much I need to earn, sell, or how ever I can make for each month to achieve my goals. Its a very challenging goal, but I will achieve it.

With school holidays approaching fast, I have also been thinking of things to do with the kids so they don't complain that they're bored. So I have decided that were going to go to the Werribee Zoo and Healesville sanctuary and the Melbourne Zoo. We're going to have a day trip to Melbourne and go to the museum, and the city circle tram and what ever other places we can do that's free. Now all of these activities are free. (all Vic zoos are free to children on school holidays, and I have a companion card as 1 of my children has special needs, so I get in free too) we will take our own food and drinks with us to all activities as well. we will also go to parks, gardens and picnic areas, and oddly enough my kids love going to op-shops and recycling centres. Bonus there is you never know what you may find (items for my gifts)

Now I just have to wait for Christmas to be over so I can really get stuck into things.

1 comment:

  1. Great work. I didn't know the melbourne zoo was free to kids in the holidays. Wish I knew that when I took my grand kids there

    ReplyDelete